7.01.2007

Wedding gowns and torture

My wedding dress came in so I went to the shop on Friday to try it on. The shop was abuzz with hopeful brides-to-be and it was hard not to get wrapped up in the giddiness and jump up and down while clapping and screaming.

My bliss, however, was based on the fact that my wedding gown shopping experience is over. Shopping for a wedding gown is somewhat akin to torture...especially if you don't relish getting naked in front of strangers.

I prepared for my experience about as thoroughly as I prepare for a visit to the "woman doctor." I took a bath. I shaved. I wore decent undergarments. I'm not shallow...I'm just exceptionally modest.


(Although, that seems like a contradiction in terms. How could I admit to being both exceptional and modest in the same breath? Not sure...I just know it is true.)

Upon arrival at the bridal shops (I, luckily, only had to visit 2) I was immediately faced with the exuberance of the staff. I am normally a cheery person...just not when I'm trying on dresses. I was fortunate in that I had my mom and sister with me to temper the mood.

The sunny disposition of the staff quickly turns to a military-like precision when you arrive to your dressing room. Take off your shoes. Take off your clothes. What is your bra size?

So you stand waiting half-naked. When they return, they put the strapless bra on for you and put a hair net thing over your face to prevent the transfer of lotion, make-up or that bit of salad dressing left over from lunch.

Then you turn your back to them (something which, at this point, you don't feel comfortable doing) and raise your arms above your head. A little Abu Ghraib-ish?

Perhaps.

But once I found "the dress" I was willing to put aside all of my questions about their methods of trying-on torture. Instead, I put that perky bridal shop staff up on a pedestal.

After all, they helped me find a dress and, when it comes to this girl, that is no small feat.

*The picture is courtesy of FashionEra.com. I couldn't very well put a picture of my dress up here!


No comments: