9.01.2007

I fell in love today

I woke up this morning knowing I had important things to do. Wedding things. Grad school things. Planning a future and making sure all my ducks are in a row things.

So, what did I do? I woke up. Showered. Ate a quick breakfast and was out the door by 9:30am.

Heading towards the Humane Society shelter. Funny, that wasn't on my important list of things to do. But go there I did. And then I fell completely in love.

Before I continue, I must say that I really want a dog. I've wanted a dog ever since I first moved out on my own after college. At the time, my life was a little up-in-the-air and I didn't think it'd be fair to bring a dog into the picture. Plus, a few years ago, I made a vow that I would not adopt a dog until my dog (our family dog) Nick had passed on.

But Nick is still alive and doing well. Thank god.

But the years since then have clicked by and my desire to have a dog has grown. Granted, I have two cats and they are playful, quirky and fun. I never thought I'd love a cat...but now I love two!

But they aren't dogs. They need "alone" time.

There are many reasons why we don't have a dog now:

1. We can't have them in our apartment.

2. Even if we could have them in our apartment, it is to small to house 2 humans, 2 cats and a dog.

3. Money. Money. Money. It's not the root of all evil but (the lack of) it is the root of 99% of our problems.

4. That up-in-the-air-ness is still there. Maybe once we go to grad school and hopefully have a bit of a larger space than we do now....

Walking into the shelter, I knew all of this. I told myself I was just there to look. It is no different than looking at all the dogs in the dog park near our house. I'm just passing time until the bridal shop opens. And the department store. And the shoe store. And the stationary store. And the library.

But then I turned the corner and saw HIM. Chewy. The love of my life. (Sorry Adam)

It was over for me then and there.

I reached my hand into his little cage and he walked over, ducked under my hand and just sat there. While I was petting his soft little head he just looked at me with his sweet little eyes. Everything about him was little at that moment...despite the fact that he is quite a large dog.

But he just seemed so vulnerable.

So I had to try and play with him. I had to make him smile...and yes, dogs do smile. So I stuck my other hand in the cage and started ruffling his fur while I made growling noises in my throat and saying "Whose a good boy?" Garnering curious looks from passers-by, no doubt.

He went berserk. Clearly, this dog could be both sweet and playful. So I sat there on the floor for a while. We played a bit. We talked a bit. We got to know each other. We gazed into each other's eyes. When it was time to go he gave me a nice, respectable kiss on the cheek.

All in all, it was a great first date.

I definitely want to see him again. But I know I can't.

So, if you find yourself at the Oregon Humane Society someday soon, stop by and say hello to my man Chewy.

And maybe consider taking him home.

No comments: