4.24.2007

My favorite place


My favorite spot this week is absolutely my front porch.

The weather is finally nice enough for us to enjoy sitting out there in the evenings. Our street is relatively quiet (being that so many people don't know it exists) but there are enough people walking up and down it to satisfy the "people-watching" hunger in me.

There is the cross-dressing man who always seems to be in a hurry. And the homeless guy who walks down the street collecting cans....while singing at the top of his lungs. He walks past the stylish young mom who is walking with her kid in the stroller and talking on her cell phone at the same time. And there is my neighbor who calls his wife by her first (and last) name when he greets her before rushing out to work on his eternally broken-down car.

I can see all of these things by just sitting on my front porch with a glass of wine. It is better than any reality tv show. It is perhaps the reason why we rented this apartment before realizing there were no closets. (Two porches seems a fair trade for zero closets, in my book.) So our bedroom floor is covered in clothes and our porch is covered in plants...and I couldn't be happier.

(If you do not have such a front porch and must resort to reality tv for your entertainment, might I suggest Manor House? It arrived on Netflix and I watched the first two episodes today. My reaction? Quite smashing!)

No comments: