4.19.2007

Shampoo/ Conditioner of the Month

I have a weakness for shampoo and conditioner that I cannot explain. Ordinarily, I'm a pretty simple gal. I don't wear makeup, I don't wear perfume and I don't really have a hairstyle...it just kind of hangs off my head.

But I love shampoo and conditioner. To me, the shampoo aisle at the store is like a chance to make my life better. How will my life change if I have ylang-ylang in my hair? Will I feel more confident if my hair smells fruity instead of flowery? Do I need "shine boosters" or "curl enhancers?" (The answer to that one, my friends, is both.)

I rarely make it to the end of the bottle. Usually, there will be a few tablespoons left when the lure of a new shampoo/conditioner combo hits. There are rules too: I never get the same shampoo/conditioner twice in a row. I don't mix and match. I don't buy shampoo/conditioner that comes in the same bottle (a la Pert Plus) no matter how much time it could possibly save.

I've decided to turn this weakness into an activity. Hence, my shampoo of the month feature.



This month's shampoo is "Brilliant Brunette Shine Release Volumizing Shampoo with Light Enhancers." The conditioner is "Brilliant Brunette Light Reflecting Daily Conditioner with Light Enhancers." Both are from the John Frieda Collection. Say that five times fast.

Both shampoo and conditioner are for "Chestnut to Espresso" colored hair. That was the tricky thing: am I "Hazelnut to Chestnut" or "Chestnut to Espresso?" The shampoo aisle is all about introspection.

I like the smell of the products...not too fruity/flowery/baked goods-y. My hair seems kind of flat today but that isn't necessarily a result of the shampoo. My brunette hair doesn't seem any more brilliant but I'll give it more time. The bottles were $5.15 each (on sale). I've seen cheaper (and better).

No comments: