8.22.2007

No Blue Balls

I watched the Democratic debate on Sunday and let's just say....I was a little less than enthused. It was, well, boring.

I am not the type of person who needs political intrigue or drama to keep me interested. But when everyone is so damn cautious about stepping on everyone else's toes, it drives me to drink.

Okay, so I'd drink anyway. But that is hardly the point.

If I have to hear one more 'my opponent said it best' or 'I agree with everything my opponent just said' or 'I think anyone of us could do a good job' I think I may become an emotional eater.

Okay, I am already that as well. But again, not the point.

Maybe I'm so disappointed because I was really excited about this upcoming election. We finally get rid of Bush. We could have a black man, or a Latino man, or a woman as the next president. We could finally put an end to global warming, create a universal health care system and figure out the quagmire that is Iraq.

I don't like any one candidate though. I like bits and pieces of all of them (especially that crazy guy from Alaska) but not one of them is perfect.

Which would be okay with me. If they could admit that.

For once, I'd like someone to say that they don't have all the answers. That they are bound to make mistakes. But that, when they do make those mistakes, they will own up to them. And they will fix them.

If there is one thing we've learned in the Bush Presidency, it is that the willingness to be accountable should be a big factor to consider when choosing a leader. Because, when you get someone who isn't willing to take responsibility, you get situations like Iraq.

Obviously, mistakes were made.

Obviously, Bush made those mistakes.

But instead of saying 'I was wrong' he says 'Stay the course' and the problem just grows and grows.

To be honest, Hillary
almost has me. If she'd just say that she was wrong to vote for the war in Iraq, I might consider her. Until she does, however, I don't think I can trust her. Because I can't trust someone who has no regrets.

And don't even get me started on Obama. He keeps ragging on everyone else for voting for the war and pumping up the fact that he did not vote for the war.

That's all well and good, except that he was elected to the Senate in 2004. We went to war with Iraq in 2003. You can't take credit for a vote you didn't even have the opportunity to cast. (Or, in this case, not cast.) It doesn't work that way. Or at least it shouldn't.

And then his wife goes and makes this remark and he starts backpedaling for her.

I've had it with all of them.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really wish Al Gore were running. I don't think I need to go into his environmental credentials. Whatever else the man has done, he has done a world of good with An Inconvenient Truth and its subsequent dialogue.

And when Michael Moore, while promoting his amazing movie Sicko, said that Gore was the only politician with a legitimate plan for universal health care, I began to actually consider him as President.

Gore, not Moore.
(Although...)

And since he 'lost' the 2000 election, he has grown more confident. He isn't afraid to make people angry or uncomfortable. And, more importantly, he has admitted his failures!

But it doesn't look like Gore will enter, so I guess I'll just wait until one of the other candidates grows a pair.

And hold my breath that Giuliani doesn't swoop in and take it from under our noses.


(I refuse to put a link to his page. You can Google him if you must...)

No comments: