1.22.2008

I have a complaint to make.

I realize that this blog, of late, has been mostly a litany of complaints. Honestly, I am a happy person. Even when I'm bitchy, like today, I am happy. But something has been building in me and I have to let it out.

I went to college and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science. I did this because I care about the environment and I wanted to have a profession in which I could do some good. Make a difference. Heal the world and make it a better place.

For you and for me and the entire human race.

Since graduating from college, I have held a variety of jobs. Two "real" jobs at non-profits and some temporary positions in between. Needless to say, I have been on a number of interviews. Time after time, I am asked if I have any "business" experience. Or I'm told that they are really seeking someone with a background in "communications."

In other words, people with science backgrounds need not apply.

It seems like most environmental groups would rather hire a marketing person and teach them about the issues instead of hiring an environmental person and teaching them about marketing.

Every time I was told this, I flash-backed to the various 3-hour science labs I endured all through college.

Biochemistry.

Inorganic chemistry.

Microbiology.

Phycology.

I think about those awful, painful courses and wonder what it was all worth. I could have been sitting in an hour-long lecture on business models instead. I could have taken a course on the history of the radio to satisfy a communications major.

I'm not saying that a Business or Marketing or Communication major is easy for everybody. I am saying it would have been easy(er) for me.

But I didn't think that a major in one of those fields would open doors for me in the environmental field. So, I struggled through the science.

And what, exactly, do I have to show for it? Put me up against some Business-major people I know who have been working for environmental firms or magazines. Who, in that light, is the more successful?

Not me.

The salt in the wound is that they make far more money (and actually have benefits!) than I ever made working at a non-profit.

So, I had an idea. Perhaps the doors to the environmental field are not open to people with environmental backgrounds but that doesn't mean I can't somehow sneak in the back.

Today I interviewed for a receptionist position at a company that will remain nameless (pending results from the interview). This company is an "environmental" company in central Little Rock.

During this interview, I was told, in so many words, that I was overqualified. I have a degree in Environmental Science....why do I want to be "just" a receptionist? Aren't I going to be using my degree sometime in the future?

I wanted to scream.

"Yes!" (I screamed in my head), "I'd love to use my degree. I'd love to put those 4 years of experience to the test. But, the environmental community has decided that actual schooling in this area is now a mark in the Con Column. So here I am. Applying to be a receptionist. Hoping for a piece of the organic tofu pie. Give it to me. I'll do a good job."

Instead, I once again had to downplay the importance/difficulty of my degree. I said that I didn't want to be in science. I said that my degree really has no impact on my job search. I said I'd love to be a receptionist.

And I did that all before the cock crowed for the third time.

2 comments:

Val said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. I think at the non-profit I am working for I am the only one with an real environmental background and thats not why I got the job, I got it cause of my political experience. The environmental field definitely don't look for people with a enviro background. That should have been an asterisk under our majors. I probably still would have gone the same way but it would have been nice to have some warning or to have had the chance to diversify a bit.

flower in hand said...

I know! Honestly, if I had known that having an enviro background would mean zilch, I probably would have majored in photography!