1.20.2008

New year, new perspective. New lease-on-life. Blah. Blah. Blah.



New picture.

In honor of Oregon, my until-recent home, I updated my picture to that of a dahlia. In case you did not know it, and there is no reason you should, Oregon is the #1 dahlia grower in the country (world?) and I took this photo at a farm in that great state.

But that was the past and this is the present. Onward and upward (or southern-ward as it were).

This is a new year.

I've got a new relationship (a husband vs a fiance), a new apartment, new crap to fill it with, a new career goal, a new winter coat and, of course, a new obsession.

It seems like every year I have something to obsess over. Last year it was money.

The year I graduated from college it was farm animals (can't explain it in this post but I'll be sure to elaborate in a future one).

One particularly golden year in elementary school it was Bonnie Bell lip gloss.

This year is a two-fer. Women's literature and sugar-free Jelly Bellies. The women's lit thing....I don't know how to explain except to say that this year I have read The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs and The Friendship Test by Elizabeth Noble.

Two books may not seem like an obsession to you but I've read those books in 20 days. While looking for employment. And unpacking. And studying.

Neither of these books are my norm. The thought of women's lit always gave me a rash. Don't get me wrong...I love Bridget Jones's Diary the MOVIE. I couldn't get past page 1 of the book.

And if you tell me that Jane Austen is in the Women's Lit genre I'll force you to listen to Renee Zellweger's British accent ad nauseam.

But for some reason both of these books struck a cord with me at this time in my life. I've already purchased my next book....Knitting Under the Influence by Claire LaZebnik.

As for sugar-free Jelly Bellies, that one is easy to explain.

I love Jelly Bellies. I should stop eating so much sugar. Hence, sugar-free Jelly Bellies.

That's my life in 2008....sugary books and sugar-free candy.

No comments: