3.21.2008

I am so so so glad it is the weekend.

I have decided that, if I can't be independently wealthy, I'm looking forward to the day that I can have a career where I don't count the days, hours, minutes, seconds to the weekend.

Hopefully, after satisfactorily completing the GRE, I am well on my way.

Pregnant sister and brother-in-law coming in this weekend for the Easter holiday (or, really, an excuse to go to Sunday brunch at the Clinton library. Yum.)

Otherwise, no big plans.

But it looks like the weather is going to cooperate and be quite lovely. Perhaps my car will finally dry out after this week's deluge.

Interesting quote from Barak Obama that is worth-your-while:

"The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity, but that she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know (pause) there's a reaction in her that doesn't go away and it comes out in the wrong way."

Um....what?!? I thought Obama was all about bringing us together, building us up and all that crap. Well, this "typical" white person isn't buying it.

It reminds me of how I felt upon entering college in New York after growing up in the South. Some people, upon finding out I was from Arkansas, just assumed I had my white hood hanging in the closet back in the dorm room.

Sorry to disappoint, but not all Southerners are racist. On the contrary, I have noticed more mixed-race friendships/marriages/etc in the South than I ever saw in New York.

Or Oregon for that matter.

And maybe I am naive and somewhat out-of-touch with the racist people in this country, having met only a few in my lifetime. But, I would argue that for Obama to make a statement such as this, he is out-of-touch as well.

And he's running for President.

No comments: